Sunday, January 8, 2017

Welcome to "My Boone County"!

WELCOME TO MY BLOG!

BooneCountyKy.US is an easy-to-remember web address that will get you to these pages at a site which is devoted to aid in the genealogical and historical research of Boone County, Kentucky and its people.

Genealogy and local history research have been interests of mine for the past seventeen years. When I began researching my own family's past in Boone County in 1992, I didn't know a whole lot about genealogy or how to research one. Over time and during many research trips to Kentucky I collected a good bit of information for my own personal research library. I have discovered that about half of my ancestors liked the area well enough to spend about two hundred years around that little spot on the globe that is Northern Kentucky, and even though the state has many charms, it took them thousands of years to get there! ;-)

A Hoosier and Vice-President of recent vintage once said "a mind is a terrible thing to lose" [I first wrote this a while back when it referred to Dan Quayle, now there is a Hoosier V.P. named Pence].  I do not know if he was speaking from personal experience, but I figure a little knowledge picked up along the way can only be of some help to you before you begin to lose your mind in trying to fill in all those blanks in your family tree. And so I have compiled these pages to assist you in your research.  As I sometimes say, "Ancestors were never lost, they are just waiting to be found!" So let this site be your guide and your resource and these pages will help you to fill out all those blanks in your own Boone County pedigree.

A few items have already been posted to BooneCountyKy.US, but the site still has room to grow, and I hope to continue adding to it in the next few months and years. Some of the information, references, or materials may not be new to the web and may be located elsewhere, however, there are and will be quite a few unique items to be found here and nowhere else.

CONTRIBUTIONS WELCOME

Despite rumors to the contrary and being a cousin unto myself, I only have one pair of hands and while still working on my "family forest" in Boone County, but I can always add a little more to improve these pages.

If you have any materials or suggestions to improve the site, please let me know. Do you have anything you would like to share?

I have found the work on this project to be a lot of fun and a learning experience, which is what genealogy and the study of local history should be about. I do hope you find something useful at BooneCountyKy.US.

Mark Twain is reported to have said that "when the end of the world comes I want to be in Kentucky, because there it will come 20 years later." When he said that he may very well have well thinking of this site, for here the past is always present, and the future, well, that's another day!

So, please, just click, read, learn, and enjoy!

Philip Naff
Indianapolis, Indiana

Website creator and editor of HarrisonCountyKy.US
Staff writer for the Harrison Heritage News
Recipient of the 2007 Kentucky Genealogical Society's Outstanding Service to Genealogy Award
Member, Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels (Since 2007)

The Daniel Boone Bicentennial
Commemorative Half Dollar
(Obverse; 1934-38)




No comments:

Post a Comment